Champagne Taste, Water Budget

It's tragic that life has imparted a taste way beyond my budget. Being terminally poor, finding ways to appease the palate on an almost non-existent budget has become a way of life instead of an adventure.

Herein lies the chronicles of poverty. If ye be a snob, mosey on along. But if like me, you are looking for a way to enjoy life at almost no cost or on the cheap, come along for the ride.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Great Expotations

When I was a kid, the words "expo" would send a thrill through me ... every time.


I think it's because back then the word meant something completely different from the travesty it does now. Back then, there were real surprises, great finds, food, music and just plain fun. Also the first expo I went to was a book expo. I was hooked. Thousands of books in one place for el cheapo? I was in total heaven.


This love affair with expos lasted till Singapore introduced the concept of "lets get rid of expired products for not that cheap at a way out location and make the suckers who come queue for hours for everything". "Oh yeah, let's be darn rude to them too while doing that."


Charming.


I usually avoid them. It's not just the expo organisers. It's also the madding crowd who frequent them. If you want to see people imitating wild animals and displaying the most negative and unattractive traits, go to expos.


Occasionally, you meet kindred souls and you end up in a discreet huddle of solidarity, hoping to get out of there alive and untouched by the venom of desperation and entitlement.


So, why am I posting the John Little expo? Because they actually look like they have some items of interest for some value. Not to me as I do not really need anything in their ad but I know a friend of two who might.


The location alone would ensure I do not go. I only darken the streets of Changi only if I really need something. Like leave the country.


I have more interest in the bedlinen sale at Parkway Parade basement. One because I have a bit of bedlinen fetish. Second, 'cos I actually like Parkway Parade. Loads of food in that area. Yums. Laksa, char kway teow, fried oyster cake, that rice stall with lurvely otak ...

No comments:

Post a Comment