Champagne Taste, Water Budget

It's tragic that life has imparted a taste way beyond my budget. Being terminally poor, finding ways to appease the palate on an almost non-existent budget has become a way of life instead of an adventure.

Herein lies the chronicles of poverty. If ye be a snob, mosey on along. But if like me, you are looking for a way to enjoy life at almost no cost or on the cheap, come along for the ride.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Weekly Supermarket Dash - 22 July 2010

I have to work this weekend which means I will not have the time to do my weekly marketing.  And next week I have to go out of town so I thought I would get my shopping sorted now.


Fortunately, because I will not be home much, I do not need that much as I still have a bunch of groceries left.  Which reminds me I better use them up before Friday.  Which leaves ... tomorrow.  Wow, it's gonna be a 4-course meal tomorrow then.  


Anyway, here is the chart of offers available as of 22 July.


I have to commend the IT department of NTUC Fairprice.  They are the most up-to-date and user-friendly website among all the supermarkets in Singapore.  I checked their website this morning and it was not updated.  By the time I returned this evening, their Thursday specials were updated.  Imagine that!  Just before  Thursday arrives.  That's a dedicated website development group they have there.  Not sure if I should commend their in-house department or the marketing department for hiring a competent PR/media agency.


Anyway, the rest are really slacking.  With the exception of Cold Storage.  Which has updated with the latest offers.  However, I dislike their website set-up for a couple of reasons.


One - their latest and past promotions are not properly defined.  You have the two mixed willy-nilly with no clear division so if you were not careful, you might actually be looking at an offer that has expired or will be expiring tomorrow alongside today's latest offer. 


Two - they are amusingly slack about their offers.  Take the example of the Mili products.  The promotion price is exactly the same as the usual retail price.  How do I know?  Because Cold Storage gamely puts the two, one above the other, for you to laugh at.


Still, at least they updated, which is more than what I can say for Carrefour.  Guys, you wouldn't be waiting for the next World Cup, right?  Hate to break it to you but that's another 4 years away.


And Sheng Siong really shows their roots too.  Like Carrefour, they have not updated their promotions page, which then makes it unclear if last week's promotion is still valid.  However, and interestingly enough, they have added a 7th Month Package web page.  Wow ... interesting ...


Anyway, this week's chart offers a few items of interest but nothing that is totally imperative except for the Seara frozen chicken, the Meiji milk (if it is still valid), Blueberry Morning Post and maybe the ribeye steak.


I will make a quick run to Sheng Siong, NTUC and maybe Cold Storage by Friday and update then.

No comments:

Post a Comment