Champagne Taste, Water Budget

It's tragic that life has imparted a taste way beyond my budget. Being terminally poor, finding ways to appease the palate on an almost non-existent budget has become a way of life instead of an adventure.

Herein lies the chronicles of poverty. If ye be a snob, mosey on along. But if like me, you are looking for a way to enjoy life at almost no cost or on the cheap, come along for the ride.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weekly Supermarket Dash - 17 Jul 2010

I don't know why there aren't more supermarkets with websites containing up-to-date information of their latest promotions and specials.


Some do not even have websites.  The shame.


I do my groceries shopping mainly with my finger.  Click, check.  Click, check.


I copy down all the prices that relate to my needs of the week and input these into a handy, dandy (even if unattractive) Excel sheet, do a comparison, and then decide which supermarkets I am going to hit for my weekly supermarket dash.


I may not even visit the online-ads-less supermarkets unless they happen to be on the way. And if I had already purchased an item which is cheaper at the technologically-backward supermarket, I get pissed.  Oy yeh, you will see me cursing ad swearing as I leave the shop in a disgruntled funk.


So, anyway, rant aside, here is the chart for this week.  It is apparent that NTUC is the winner this week with the most items of interest (happily highlighted in red & yellow), followed by Sheng Siong.





So that decides my supermarket dash circuit.  First Sheng Siong so I can double check that they do not offer less for the same items (and also 'cos the items there are lighter), and then NTUC.  I won't even bother with Cold Storage this week as I know I can get beautifully fresh prawns for less at the wet market near home.


And forget about Carrefour, which has not updated their website even before World Cup started.  They still have their World Cup promotions on the site with no new updates.  Dudes, you are playing like Shabi Alonso.  There's the goal.  Now miss.


And Giant.  What's wrong?  You think your mainstay customers, the heartlanders, are incapable of surfing the net?  So there is no need to have a website?  Tut tut.


So the shopping list looks like thus:
NTUC
Baby carrots
Blueberries
Enoki mushrooms
Frozen chicken thighs
Frozen mixed vegetables
Honey cherry tomatoes
Japanese cucumbers
Red seedless grapes
Thai fragrant rice
Sheng Siong
Frozen beef blade
Frozen beef knuckle
Meiji milk


Right, that's the plan at any rate.  I probably will not get everything but at least I know what's available and at a good value.  It all depends on how much time I have, how heavy everything gets such that I refuse to turn into a coolie, and how much money I want to save this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment