Champagne Taste, Water Budget

It's tragic that life has imparted a taste way beyond my budget. Being terminally poor, finding ways to appease the palate on an almost non-existent budget has become a way of life instead of an adventure.

Herein lies the chronicles of poverty. If ye be a snob, mosey on along. But if like me, you are looking for a way to enjoy life at almost no cost or on the cheap, come along for the ride.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Kailan & Mushrooms

Everything took a back seat today as I suddenly found myself having to deal with some work issues.  Which meant I did not have the chance to do my weekly shopping.  Hopefully I can get to do some tomorrow before work.


But this was a good thing as it gave me a chance to use up some of the stuff in the fridge.  I had half a packet of kailan and quite a bit of shiitake mushrooms which I need to consume before they start going off.  There is also half a packet of tai bak choy left over from the Soup Insomnia expedition, a packet of asparagus and three Japanese cucumbers.  Man, I really need to hustle and use them all up before I bugger off.


I had some leftover mutton curry rice from the previous night as well as a large tub of Soup Insomnia so I decided on a simple dish of vegetables to round off the meal.


Kailan and Mushroom in Oyster Sauce
About 8 bunches of young kailan
8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 1/2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp oil
1 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
Pinch of sugar
Dash of pepper

1. Prep time:
- Wash the kailan
- Wash and cut off the woody stalk of the shiitake mushrooms
- Peel, top and mince the garlic


2. Heat the oil and when smoking, add the garlic, quick frying till fragrant


3. Add the mushrooms and stir fry briskly on high


4. Add water, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar.  Adjust to taste. 


5. Bring to boil and then lower heat to braise gently till sauce is reduced.  If it gets too dry you can keep adding water or stock.  I preferred water this time because I wanted a lighter vegetable side dish today


6. Add the kailan and cover and braise till kailan is cooked, turning occasionally


7.  Plate.  Eat.


This is such a simple dish and a staple in many Chinese households I have been told.  I simple adore it as I love all vegetables from the rabe family.  And it is a beautiful accompaniment to so many dishes and yet it can hold its own as a main dish.  If I was using this as a main, I would use stock instead of water and add some shredded conpoy in the braising to give it more richness and texture.


I had a great meal and was a much happier camper at work because of it.  Maybe I should give this dish a fancy name like Mood Lifter Kailan and Mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment